Nov 1, 2009

I'm back!

There was too much of nothing going on so there was not much to write about.

However, I did spend one wonderful week in the Philippines. It was right after the two typhoons ravaged Manila and right before the last one hit. I had pretty good timing. Also, I mainly spent my time in Cebu where I enjoyed beautiful sunshine except on the day I arrived.

I must admit I have become "Americanized". I am much more protective of my personal space. I don't like it when people who are supposed to be waiting in line can actually see me doing my banking or that people don't mind being cramped up in one elevator with elbows touching. I got a little bit annoyed when someone called for the waitress with a "Psst!"

I was surprised when people asked me how much I was making and how much my car is. I didn't like it when service people treat me like royalty when I'm all dressed up, but will hardly give me the time of the day when I was wearing jeans, tshirt and no makeup. Your receipts are stapled on the outside of the shopping bag and security guards are there to inspect your purse before they let you in the mall.

It was hot, muggy and the mosquitoes feasted on me. Almost everyone expected me to pick up the tab all the time - and this was after they showed up an hour late. There was also quite a number of requests for Christmas presents even though it was October.

Despite everything that was irritating, I still had a great time. My family and friends were never too busy to hang out with me. I woke up to breakfast my grandmother lovingly prepared, lunched on the freshest fish and ate as many mangoes as I possibly can. A pedicure was less than a dollar and it is done in the comfort of your own home. They don't even expect a tip.

It has been several years since I moved to the US and I don't think I will ever get over being homesick. Cebu and its people are beautiful and I can't wait to be back.

No comments: