Jun 23, 2008

Travelling Alone

My friend is going to the Philippines for the first time. Alone. And he's a little bit nervous about it.

I understand his apprehension. I used to be so scared of traveling alone. Okay, I was so scared, I had my grandmother take me to USC-TC on my first day of college. I was scared of getting lost, not making any friends, and was just being plain scared in general.

The day after my college graduation, I decided I was all grown-up and took the SuperCat to Bohol. Mind you, the last time I was there was when I was 4 years old. For my Uncle's wedding in Jagna. Oddly, I was not scared at all. I was so excited to travel alone. I made it to Jagna with no incident, just asked people for directions.

That was the end of my travel scaredy-ness. I have gone to Massachusetts, Washington State, Colorado and Reno alone. I have travelled internationally alone. Not much to it. As long as you know how to read signs, speak some English. People are generally helpful. In fact, if I had all the time and resources in the world, I would travel more. I'm trying to be at least conversational in Portuguese for when we(or I) go to Brazil. I can't wait to eat at a seriously authentic churrascaria.

So dude, please don't worry too much. Cebu is a beautiful place with friendly people. Almost everyone speaks English. Even that dude that sells fresh coconut on the sidewalk.

No comments: