May 18, 2008

the desiderata

This is one of the most beautiful things ever written. Max Ehrmann is one wise man. I found a copy of this one in one of my mom's old notebooks. I was so moved. I started my own notebook of poems by great writers and other pieces that I like. And wrote some of my own stuff. I had a huge 400-page binder. Lofty dreams. That notebook never did get filled.

The day I earned my BS sucked. No one in my family saw me graduate. Only two family members were allowed in, and my grandpa couldn't attend because he was sick. My grandma had to stay with him. My dad was too shy. My mom was there but she had to attend an important meeting in the meantime so she didn't see me. My grandaunt was there, but she fell asleep. My siblings were in school. No one in my family saw me graduate. I was disappointed but no one knew. I went 'placidly amidst the noise and haste'. Or tried to.

In the last five months, I lost Papa and Grandpa. That's something that is really hard to get over. There is no way I could possibly go placidly amidst the noise and haste. I couldn't detach myself from what I really felt. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world, Ehrmann wrote. And although we don't see it all the time, it is a beautiful world still. There's Parker's smile, there's family, there's kind words from a dear friend, beautiful beaches, cool cellphones, company bowling parties, cold water.

If all else fails, grab a hot chocolate or a pint of dark chocolate gelatto, plop down on the couch and watch Timon and Pumbaa sing Hakuna Matata.

No comments: