Mar 25, 2008

Adult Braces

I remember wanting braces when I was in the Philippines. Everybody thought braces were cute especially if you have colored ones. The problem was that my teeth were straight so I didn't need them.

Then I earned my degree, got married, had a baby. I'm too old for braces. I no longer want to have braces. Braces = cute. I no longer strive for 'cute'. The goal now is 'me'. Or more accurately, 'beautiful adult version of me' - inside and out.

Then my dentist told me I needed braces. A couple of teeth have rotated in place and one tooth was shifting. There are some more dental details that I'll spare you to avoid TMI.

I was hoping I was a good candidate for invisalign or at least get the least conspicuous ones. My orthodontist said that if I want the optimum (best results in the shortest period of time possible), I should go for this new titanium ones that look like they belong to a cement plant.

I got braces last week - the metal ones. I'm surprised I didn't set off the alarms at the airport with the amount of metal in my mouth.

It felt funny the first day I had them on, then quickly escalated to painful and annoying over the next three days. Good thing I had a whole bunch of dental wax. On the fifth day, it didn't hurt unless I was putting pressure on my teeth. A whole week after I got them, no more pain. Just the feeling that they're there. Like I'm keeping food in my mouth and refusing to chew and swallow.

There's a song that goes, Be careful what you wish for, Coz you just might get it all.

2 comments:

lyn said...

Naka balos nako nimo eheheheheh ikaw napud ya. Mana manko pila ka years mana imo

Anonymous said...

3 years jud ko ya. unsaon nalang ani! i-add nako imong blog sa akong links ha?

Sign up pod sa google adsense ug uban pang money-making sites ining 3 months old na imong blog. ingna lang nya ko tudluan tika