Jan 2, 2008


A member of the Filipina forum I am a member of mentioned her experience with getting shocked every time she touches metals. It is cold weather again, when jolts from static electricity is more common.

Personally, I hip-bump the car door close. This I started doing after being shocked by the car door so many times.

Here are some very helpful tips on how to reduce static electricity I found on wikihow:
  • Create an inexpensive anti-static spray by dumping a capfull of fabric softener into a spray bottle filled with water. Spray this on carpets and other surfaces to prevent static buildup.
  • You can reduce or even eliminate the 'shock' you feel by discharging the spark through a metal object. For example, grasp a bunch of keys and use the keys to touch a nearby grounded object(like a water tap/faucet). The current will flow painlessly between a large area of your hand and the keys.
  • Reduce or even eliminate the 'shock' you feel by discharging the spark through your knuckles. This works because the nerves on your fingertips and palm are much more sensitive to stimulation than the skin over your knuckles.
  • Shaving or clipping the hair on hairy legs will cause less static electricity to build up.
  • Try carrying an anti-static dryer sheet in your pocket, and rubbing it once in a while. This works to dissipate static for people as well as laundry.
The most helpful tip of all is to install a humidifier in your house. Not only does this reduce static electricity, it is great for us Filipinas who are used to higher levels of humidity. It prevents your nasal passages from drying, which happens during dry, cold weather.

No comments: