May 4, 2007

Agay! Kasakit!

With all the little aches and pains that come with pregnancy, my husband came really familiar with the Bisaya expression when in pain: Agay! followed by a sharp inhale through gritted teeth.

Darren is learning Bisaya, so as much as possible, I speak to him in my dialect. The difficult thing about switching between English and Bisaya is that screws up my accents. I invariably put the emPHAsis on the wrong syLLAble or just start speaking English with a Bisaya accent. Other times, I talk to my sister in English and she would think I was being snotty.

Except for those little annoying things, Darren is learning really good. Di na malibak. He even has the Bisaya accent perfect. AND he can do the lip pointing, the eyebrow signals (yes or no) and hand gestures that go with, "Psst! Ari diri." His progress is amazingly good.

It helps a lot that he has a great sense of humor. I was never the most patient person in the world and hormones makes that worse.

Last week, he was exclaiming, "A girl! A girl!"

What girl?

He explained that it sounds like I'm saying, "A guy! A guy!" when I feel pain. So he figured, for him it should be "A girl!"

Pastilan!

No comments: