Jan 12, 2007

Oona is writing. We are eating.

Have you ever met someone who refers to himself/herself in the third person? I have. And I can't decide if that is irritating, or if I should feel sorry for that person, because he/she needs more lessons on Languages. Most of the time, I end up with both sentiments.

Of course, I had to google it to see if that is acceptable, or if it is some type of weird personality disorder. "Illeists" they are called, according to word-detective.com. It is from the Latin "ille," meaning "he" or "that man". The website says Illeism, a term coined in the early 19th century, is usually considered an affectation of bad writers. Can I add: bad speakers, too?

When I was still in Cebu, I know one person who does that a lot, and she was convinced that it was cute. Some people actually agree with her, while some don't. It makes it quite difficult to decide if I was being irritated over something that should be acceptable in the first place, or whether it really should be universally irritating.

Another thing that strikes me as odd is how some people, most commonly politicians would say "we" and "us" instead of "I" and "me". Is that supposed to make them sound selfless? Why do they think that its okay to pluralize themselves? I read somewhere that only people with parasites should be allowed to do that. Maybe pregnant people, too. Like me, (not "us", because the baby in my tummy is not pregnant).

We are going to lunch now.

No comments: