May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Starting yesterday, I was greeted many times over. Happy Mothers Day! I thought that's very nice but I'm not really a mother. Why would they greet me? Then I see JellyBean and it hits me: I am a mom. A relatively new one.

I'd like to honor the moms in my life. I am one of those lucky girls who actually get along with their mother-in-law. She is one of the nicest, most patient persons I know. She can hold JellyBean for many hours through giggles and tears. She listens patiently to everybody - even the most boring of people.

My own mom - I don't see eye to eye with on everything. And now I'm finding that she's right on so many things. Those AHA moments are coming by more often. "Someday you'll know what I mean." That someday is here and its happening quite often. I have to thank her for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

My grandmother - I am one of those lucky people who had two sets of parents. While my mom is the ultimate disciplinarian, my grandma provided the refreshing contrast of spoiling me. Who doesn't like getting spoiled? If my mom said no, I'd run to grandma and she'd say yes. After a little 'talk' between them, I get my way a lot more than if decisions were by my mom alone. But seriously, my grandma taught me to be patient and kind and loving. She was always 'adopting' some person off the street. At any given time, we'd welcome some random person and share our meal with them.

My moms - they are the best. I only hope to be half as good as them.

No comments: