Jan 4, 2008

The frustrated singer

That's me!

I know a lot of people who can sing very well but their talent is exceeded by their shyness. No, they will never sing in public, they say. I, on the other hand, have the reverse problem. I'm not shy. I just don't have the talent to sing. And I desperately want to.

Back in Cebu, I signed up for singing class. I'm telling you, I'm serious about my singing career. My classmates where little 5 year old kids who could belt out and sustain notes that are on the end of the audible spectrum. It made me think, where was I when God was giving away singing talents?

I was so excited when my voice instructor, Coach Chardie said that my voice had depth, character and brilliance. MAN! I had those? He seriously made my day. At least for the 5 minutes I basked in the glory of hearing that my voice had potential. All I needed was technique - the lack of which was so apparent five notes into my song.

After about five sessions, I decided to not go anymore. Although everyone said that I have improved, I really wasn't enjoying going to school where I'm not excelling. And outdone by children a quarter of my age! Tsk. tsk. I don't like quitting but sometimes, we just have to accept that there are certain things not meant for us.

I still like to sing. In the shower, in the car, at the privacy of my living room. My sweet husband gave me the best compliment about my singing: Lea Salonga sings just slightly better than me, he said. Just a little.

No comments: